Recent Graduates Program - Health Policy
At CMS, we believe that at the core of our organization are the employees that carry out the Agency’s vision of advancing health equity, expanding coverage, and improving health outcomes.
What's the Recent Graduates Program?
The recent graduate program is for those who have graduated, within the past two years, from a qualifying educational institution or certificate program. The recent graduate program offers career development with training and mentorship.
This one-year paid program is designed to provide an opportunity to those individuals who lack experience to participate in Federal government jobs, enabling them to develop on the job as they establish their career.
A huge perk of this program is that upon successful completion of the one-year program, you are eligible for conversion to a position with a GS-12 full-performance level.
About the role:
What is a Health Insurance Specialist (HIS)? At CMS, an HIS can wear many hats. This series typically works within health insurance policy development, research, analysis, and program development.
$47,216 - $87,395 per year
What you'll do:
- Resolve health insurance program issues by conducting research on the problem area, analyzing the results and making recommendations to management to resolve any problem areas.
- Engage with senior analysts and management in reviewing, analyzing, and developing program documents.
- Review, evaluate, and analyze health insurance programs for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Review draft regulations and responses to CMS' proposed regulations.
- Assist with administration of health insurance program audits.
Expanded/Maximum Telework Posture:
Due to COVID-19, the agency is currently in a maximum telework posture. If selected, you may be expected to telework upon your appointment. As employees are permitted to return to the office, you may be required to report to the duty station listed on this announcement, even if your home/temporary telework site is located outside the local commuting area. Your position may be eligible for workplace flexibilities which may include remote work or telework options, and/or flexible work scheduling.
To be eligible as a Recent Graduate:
• U.S. Citizenship required
• GPA of 2.95 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
• Individuals who within the previous 2 years, completed a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution. Therefore, you must have completed your educational program no earlier than March 7, 2020. Veterans who were precluded from applying due to their military service obligation, begin their 2-year eligibility period upon release or discharge from active duty. Eligibility for veterans cannot exceed 6 years from the date on which they completed their degrees (or certification). Therefore, veterans must have completed your educational program no earlier than March 7, 2016.
• Degree requirements must be completed during the Spring 2022 semester and the degree must be conferred by June 30th, 2022.
Experience we're looking for:
1) Assisting in performing routine data studies.
2) working with data software, graphics software, or word processing software.
- OR -
Substitution of Education for Experience:
You may substitute education for specialized experience at the GS-07 grade level by possessing at least one full year of graduate level education. One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study. If that information cannot be obtained from the school, 18 semester hours should be considered as satisfying the 1 year of full-time study requirement. Part-time graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended.
- OR -
Superior Academic Achievement:
• A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university AND one of the following provisions of superior academic achievement:
• A grade-point average of "B" (3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale) for all completed undergraduate courses or those completed in the last two years of undergraduate study. For example, 2.95 is rounded to 3.0, and 2.94 is rounded to 2.9.
• A grade-point average of 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale for all required courses completed in your major field of study, or those required courses in your major completed in the last two years of your undergraduate study.
• Rank in the upper one-third of your class in the college, university, or major subdivision.
• Membership in a national honor society (other than freshman honor societies) recognized by the Association of College Honor Societies.
- OR -
Combination of Experience and Education:
Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the GS-07 grade level. The percentage of your total qualifying experience the education must equal to 100% to qualify for this grade.
You MUST apply through USAJOBS to be considered.
Come see why over 6,000 employees say CMS is their employer of choice! In addition to dynamic and exciting opportunities, CMS offers generous compensation and benefits programs, an outstanding work-life balance, and most important, the opportunity to give back to your community, state and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. For more information about careers at CMS, visit: https://go.cms.gov/Careers
Apply by 03/07/22!