Data Science Summer Intern
Barings’ Global Investment Services group is seeking an Intern to join its Data Science team. This internship will be located in the Barings’ Charlotte, NC office. As a member of this team, the individual will be part of a fast paced environment where they will assist with model complex business problems, discover key insights, and identify opportunities; in order to accomplish this, an academic and practical knowledge of applying statistical, algorithmic, mathematical, and technological techniques is paramount. The ideal candidate has a proven appreciation and understanding of data analysis, problem solving, and programming knowledge.
- Day to day support of internally-developed processes, with a specific focus on data analysis. This includes but is not limited to data exploration, data collection, data cleaning, model building, and result presentation.
- Aid in the design of various experiments, formulation and discovery of various hypotheses, as well as the training and scoring of existing and potential models.
- Interact directly with business partners for requirements gathering and QA testing efforts.
- Assist with preparation of white papers on research, model and methodology documentation, as well as ad hoc analysis and write ups.
- Adhere to, and enforce development standards across the team.
- Experience working with R, Python, and C# (at minimum R or Python).
- Experience working with Big Data as well as basic Machine Learning (academic or practical)
- Excellent written and communication skills to report on findings in a clear and structured manner.
- Working towards a Bachelor’s Degree with a focus on data science, statistics, mathematics, and/or computer science.
- Development \ support of internally-developed applications
- Development with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 or later, specifically TSQL for MS Management Studio.
- Experience working in environments that require strict adherence to change control policies.
- Good time-management, problem solving, organization, and analytical skills.