Information Technology Internship
The Tandana Foundation is seeking an intern to teach computer classes in mountain villages in the Otavalo canton of Ecuador, to serve as IT specialist for our local network and Electronic Medical Records system, and to assist with other IT-related projects. Located in a region that is rich in natural beauty and cultural diversity, this internship is available year-round, and the minimum time commitment is 3 months.
In this internship, you will teach computer classes for Tandana's scholarship students at the computer lab in Tandana's office, as well as for students at a local elementary school. You will work alongside Tandana staff, local teachers and community members, teaching basic computer skills to both elementary and secondary students. During Tandana's Health Care Volunteer Ventures, you will set up our portable router and server at each location, help troubleshoot issues with the network or EMR system, and help volunteers learn to use the system. Because Tandana facilitates many volunteer programs and community projects throughout the year, you may also help coordinate service- and cultural-learning experiences for groups of U.S. students that are visiting your community as well as assist with other Tandana projects as need arises. You may also provide individual support to Tandana scholarship students in using computers and the internet for homework assignments. If you have video production skills, you will also have an opportunity to create videos for use by Tandana volunteers as well as to spread the word about Tandana's projects. Finally, you will serve as a cultural ambassador and a positive representative of The Tandana Foundation. In return, you will be placed with a host family, which will allow countless opportunities to explore the indigenous cultures and subsistence lifestyles of highland Ecuador as well as the natural environment around you. You will also be given all the support you need to succeed in your work and be encouraged to accomplish your personal internship goals.
- Conversational Spanish
- Experience living in cross-cultural situations, preferably in Latin America
- Ability to work cooperatively with a diverse array of people, to solve problems creatively, and to promote a positive experience for all involved
- Self-motivation, responsibility, and an ability to work independently
- Basic networking knowledge and the ability to explain the use of web browsers and Office applications.
- Minimum age is 19
- Minimum time commitment is 3 months
- Teach basic computer classes and/or tutor in computer skills 4-5 days a week
- Serve as IT specialist during Tandana's Health Care Volunteer Ventures
- Optional: create videos for Tandana's external and internal use
- Help coordinate the activities of visiting volunteer groups and other Tandana projects and ensure that volunteers and community members alike have positive experiences.
- Represent Tandana in a positive manner to all community members and volunteers and help to build good relationships
- The opportunity to participate in unique cultural activities and be a part of a dynamic, multi-cultural team
- Detailed orientation and ongoing support from Tandana's Ecuador Program Manager as well as a mentor
- Room and board with a local family (homestay)
- Work expenses including local transportation, cell phone, and consular fees. (Interns pay their own airfare to Ecuador)
How to apply:
Interested parties should send a resume and a cover letter addressing each of the following questions to Aaron DiMartino, Operations Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write "IT Internship" in the subject line of the email.
- Please describe any experience you have living in Ecuador or in another cross-cultural situation.
- What are your strengths and weaknesses as a leader?
- Describe an experience that was very challenging for you. How did you deal with the difficulties, and what did you learn from the experience?
- What are you passionate about, and how do you express that passion?
- What do you think will be most exciting about this internship?
- What do you think will be most difficult about this internship?
- What are your personal and professional goals for this internship and how can we help you accomplish them?